Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Frank's Killer Tempo Run Attempt #2

Today I decided to try this workout again. 25 laps, alternating between 5k pace and marathon pace. I warmed up with a mile at ~8:20 pace and then did 5 miles alternating between the paces. After which, I did another mile at ~8:20 pace to cool down. I really considered doing the rest of the workout, but I really like my approach of building up with my speedwork. I really didn't do a lot of it while preparing for the COTM, so I have just decided to play it safe and attempt this workout every other week and add a mile on each time. On each off week, I will do another speed workout, but with less miles at a slightly faster pace. It seems to have worked pretty well so far.

As far as this specific workout, I felt really strong for the first 4 miles. For the last mile, I started to feel my form getting a little sloppy, but I was able to get it back in check. I think I kind of zoned out for a bit. It's almost surreal to me that my marathon goal pace (7:13/mile) seems so much easier than the actual pace that I had in my first marathon. (8:43/mile) Granted, I had some issues in the last 4 miles that dropped my pace significantly, but being able to drop my time this much feels awesome. I can't wait to see what this next year brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment