Sunday, December 5, 2010

Eagle Road

I spent an hour and a half on Eagle Road today.  After a long day at work yesterday, I wasn't sure how I would feel attempting my first "long" run in a month so I decided to keep my run closer to home, and hopefully as clear of snow as possible.  My plan was to run 10 miles and assuming that I would be pretty sore at the end, I didn't want to have wet feet as well.

I layered up, slapped some Girl Talk on the iPod and hit the road.  I am still forcing myself to follow the training guidelines for my long runs that are in Jeff Galloway's book.  This means to run at 9:13 pace with 4 minutes of running and 30 seconds of walking.  I have altered this slightly, as I just can't run any slower than 9 minutes per mile.  I also choose to run for 5 minutes and walk for 30 seconds.  This works for me in training, and it worked at Zeitgeist.

The run itself was pretty uneventful.  It felt fantastic to be out on the road after being stuck in the gym on the treadmill on Thursday and Friday.  My legs felt a little stiff for the first couple of miles, but after that they were just fine.  I had no issues with knee pain either, which really makes me optimistic about reaching 130 miles this month.  I only  ran 46 miles last month, so I am worried a bit about adding on 84 miles, but if this last week is any indicator, I think I will be in good shape.  I worked 54 hours this week, ran 27 miles, and I feel great.  Almost like I haven't done anything.

I did like the small hill portions on Eagle road.  Definitely not challenging, but the hint of a burn in my legs was nice.  I wasn't interested in pushing too hard today.  I am just itching to get back into my running full force, but I would rather build up then risk injury.  Not running much in November really just sucked the life out of me, and I know that I am going to need to use my running as an outlet in order to get through this month.

Here are the stats on the run:
Distance: 10.11 Miles
Time: 1:30:00
Pace: 8:54/mile
Avg Heart Rate: 148 bpm

No comments:

Post a Comment