Sunday, August 4, 2013

July 29 – Aug 4

Monday AM: 6.02 Miles – 48:36 – Average Pace 8:04/mile
Another early morning.  Nothing really special about this run. 

Monday PM: 5 Miles – 45:06 – Average Pace 9:01/mile
Went out to Gateway Park to get some trail miles in.  According to the Garmin data, the 93 degree temps felt like 101 degrees.  I know my body was really feeling it.  Just 2 miles in and I was feeling gassed.  I really enjoyed cruising on the trails despite all of the prick mountain bikers that nearly ran me over.  I was running in the NB 1210’s and liked them for about 15 minutes.  After that, not so much.  I made it through the first loop and just cruised around the fields to get up to 5 miles and called it. 

Tuesday: 6.09 Miles – 46:00 – Average Pace 7:33/mile
Tonight was really muggy.  Legs felt really tight for the first mile, but after that I got loosened up and cruised.  Everything was going really well until 3 miles in and my stomach started to disagree with the fact that I was out running.  I barely made it home “safely” at 4 miles in.  After a brief pit stop, I went out for two more quick miles with the last mile in 6:47.  I am really liking the fact that I am able to get these sub 7 minute miles at the ends of my runs and not feel like I had to really work for it.  Progress.

Wednesday: Off
I felt really tired today after work.  I decided that I just wanted to relax.  Yep, felt like a slack ass.

Thursday: Off
Normal off day.  Enjoyed time with Christy.

Friday: 4.95 Miles – 1:36:48 – Average Pace 19:33/mile
Traveled to Colorado Bend State Park to camp for the weekend, run and get my volunteer hours in for Bear.  Dre and Don joined Christy and I for the weekend.  After we got camp set up, I got ready to go for a run and Don said that he wanted to join me.  Since Don is a former Marine and appears to be in good shape, I figured he and I would be able to knock out some easy miles.  We started off down the trail at around 11 minute pace and Don appeared to be holding ok.  Once we started climbing, it became apparent that Don was struggling and wasn’t expecting what he signed up for.  I eased in to a decent powerwalk and took it easy while Don caught his breath.  As the climb mellowed out, we started running again, but was short lived.  I decided in the end that it was best to only hike the remainder of the trail.  My mileage was cut short for the day, but it was cool getting to know Don better.

Saturday AM: 5.01 Miles – 43:42 - Average Pace 8:44/mile
Set out this morning on my own to run the course from yesterday to see how I could do on my own.  I’ve been wanting to see how my legs would feel on some techy uphill, and I feel pretty good about them.  This section of the race course is pretty rugged.  Not really the most taxing in elevation gain, but the footing is pretty sketchy.  Once through the 3 (ish) miles of uphill, It’s a 2 mile bomb on dirt road to the bottom.  Closed with a 6:22 final mile.

Saturday PM: 3.42 Miles – 1:30:47 – Average Pace 26:33/mile
Simply a hike with the crew down to see the amazing Gorman Falls.  Explored a little bit and headed back up. 

Total Miles: 30.49
Total Time: 6:10:59

I’m not exactly excited about my training this week, but not disappointed either.  I spent and additional 10 hours on my feet setting up and running an aid station on Saturday night which could be some sort of training I suppose.  Regardless, it felt awesome to give back to the scene.  I had thoughts of running the 7 miles from my station back to the start, but with my headlamp broken, I had to take the easy road back.  I’ll be working in Michigan for the next 2 weeks, and I hope that I will be able to stay consistent on my training.  I really need to push hard for the next 3 weeks before I can begin my taper for Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment