Monday, August 4, 2014

Blogging Revisited - 2 Weeks of Training

It's time to get back into doing something worthwhile with this blog, and I figure that I can go back to writing about my training to supplement my race reports.  Here goes nothing.

Week of 7/21 - 7/27

Monday AM: 9.5 miles - 41:28 - Cycling
After the hard 20 mile effort yesterday, I decided on actually trying the commute to work.  I took Ellsworth basically the entire way there, and had no issues until I got to State St.  Then it got really sketchy having to cross over the freeway and into the circle.

Monday PM: 9.2 miles - 49:39 - Cycling
Decided to take the Eisenhower route home, and it wasn't much better than the ride in this morning.  While it was much safer, it was much slower.  The shitty road conditions also basically flattened both of my tires.  I'll have to re-think my routes when I try this again.

Tuesday PM: 5.5 miles - 45:30
Easy loop down to NBP.  Nothing special.

Wednesday PM: 8.1 miles - 1:09:41
Out and back to North Hydro Park and back.  The last few days of training are taking a toll on my legs.  Just cruised for the first 4 miles, and then after a quick bathroom break at the park, negative split the trip back.

Thursday PM: 1.5 miles - 29:26
Nice evening walk with Christy for a little active recovery and prep for the planned hard effort on Saturday.

Friday: OFF

Saturday AM: 33.6 miles - 7:42:31
Set out for my second attempt at the Waterloo-Pinckney trail at about 730am.  I felt a bit more prepared this time around knowing that once I hit the bridle trail I needed to stick to the yellow loop.  I took 4 handheld bottles and a full hydration bladder in my pack which worked out to 150 ounces of water.  Knowing that I could refill at the nature center, I felt this was ample considering the increased heat compared to the last attempt in May.  The plan today was to practice my race strategy, with the exception of using less fuel.  I would keep a consistent pace on the flats and downs, and power hike all of the ups, and worked well for the first 9 miles.  Surprise, once I hit the bridle trail, I got lost multiple times and ended up running in circles like I was in the Blair Witch Project.  Constantly finding myself off trail, getting eaten alive by mosquitos, and the overgrowth on the trails constantly slicing into my legs quickly made me realize that this was going to be more of a mental training run rather than a physical training run.  By the time I made it to mile 25, I was pretty much hating life and just ready to get the damn run over with.  I was starting to get very low on water, and feeling very uneasy, I stopped and checked my phone to see how far I was from the nature center.  Unfortunately, I had completely missed the turn leading to the nature center and was now in survival mode.  To make the day even more interesting, I managed to find my way onto the property of a prison right before crossing over into the Pinckney Recreation area.  After being stopped and questioned by some guards, I was able to convince them that I wasn't trying to stir up any shit, and they told me to get out of there.  The remaining miles of the run were pretty uneventful.  One foot in front of the other until I made it to the end of the trail at Silver Lake.  My reward for the day was a nice cool dip in the lake.  I don't plan on doing this trail again.

Sunday: OFF
I actually felt pretty decent today and could have gotten out for a run, but preferred to hang out with Christy and get stuff done around the house.  Actually talked myself into getting out for a run, but when I stepped outside, it was a torrential downpour and quickly settled back on the couch and didn't feel the least bit bad about it.

Week of 7/28 - 8/3

Monday PM: 5 miles - 39:41
Quick out and back to NBP.  Negative split the entire run, closing with a 7:09 final mile.

Tuesday: OFF
Too damn hungry to go out for a run when I got home and when I ate and digested, just didn't have it in me to get out.  Decided to chill and go for a double the next day.

Wednesday AM: 6 miles - 48:42
This was a bit of a quicker tempo run in order to get done in time to get cleaned up and to work in time.  Just a little out and back to the apartment complex down the way since it is the most well lit and safe route.

Wednesday PM: 10.4 miles - 1:23:36
Counter clockwise loop around Ford Lake with no water.  Felt super solid especially considering this was the second run of the day and also longer and at a slightly quicker pace.  Pretty stoked.

Thursday PM: 7.5 miles - 59:55
Typical NBP loop with the added loop out to the ballfields.  Negative split the entire run.  Very solid.

Friday: OFF
Resting for longer effort on Saturday.

Saturday AM: 20.1 miles - 3:29:18
Full Poto loop plus Silver Lake loop to get 20 miles in.  Felt really strong today for the entire run, and kept a 10:30/mile average pace.  One of those days where I could have just kept on going if I had more water and food.  Eaten alive by bugs.

Saturday PM: 3.66 miles - 1:29:21
Easy recovery walk with Christy down to NPB with Rookie.

Sunday PM: 10.11 miles - 1:25:08
Really didn't have it going on mentally for this run today.  Forced myself out the door to get to to NBP for a planned session of 15 hill repeats, but cut it short at 5 because I was interrupting a nice family's picture session.  Instead, headed home through the south neighborhood and home for a quick bathroom break, and then out to the ballfields and back to cover the 10 mile goal.  Felt great and this was a nice close to the week.  Always nice to get over 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment