Sunday, August 17, 2014

August 4 - August 17

Week of 8/4 - 8/10

Monday - OFF

The plan this week was to start doing double runs on Tuesday and Thursday, so nothing was planned or executed today.

Tuesday AM - 5.12 miles - 42:27
Easy miles before work.  Didn't really have time for any more.  I didn't complain about that though, since my legs felt sluggish the entire time.

Tuesday PM - 4.16 miles - 31:53
Over to County Farm Park after work for some miles.  When I got started, I felt like pushing the pace a bit.  I ran all of the loops - green, blue, yellow, red, red(modified).

Tuesday PM 2 - 2.11 miles - 1:03:08
Walking/geocaching with Christy as a recovery and also to explore the boardwalk in Gallup park.

Wednesday - 5.01 miles - 41:30
Managed to get 5 of a planned 10 miles in going through NBP and back through the south neighborhood.  Feeling an uncomfortable twinge in my left knee and I'm not liking it.  Cut the run short early and got some ice on the trouble area.

Thursday - OFF
Resting the bum knee.

Friday - OFF
Still resting the bum knee.

Saturday - 20.61 miles - 3:59:43
Met up for a group run and test of the loop I'll be running 6 times in a few weeks.  I didn't know how my knee was going to hold up, but I had decided before I arrived that if I felt any sort of sharp pains, I would cut the run short right away.  My pace was super mellow and I fell in with a guy named Elisha who would be running his first 50 miler and shot the shit about many different things.  The trail was really nice.  The first section is on a horse bridle trail, and I was nervous that it would be in as shitty condition as Waterloo.  Fortunately, that is not the case.  There are some solid climbs and just enough variation in the terrain to make things interesting but potentially very fast.  The second section is on the "Turkey Head" portion of the Potowatomi Trail.  Very familiar with this section.  I stuck with Elisha the entire time and when all was said and done, it felt like I hadn't even run a step.  Excellent conditions and having company for the first time in this state made this a great day.  I have high hopes for the race in a few weeks.

Sunday - 3.01 miles - 23:30
I wanted to stretch out my legs today and nothing more.  After how well my knee felt yesterday, I had no interest in pressing my luck.

Week of 8/11 - 8/17

Monday - OFF
Couldn't sleep last night for more than a couple of hours.  Up early this morning to help at work and when I got home, managed to doze off.

Tuesday - OFF
Repeat of yesterday.  Missed out on 10 miles tonight.

Wednesday - 7.02 miles - 55:37
Ran down through Riverside and Frog parks and back home through Depot Town.  Had to stop at the house for a quick(ish) bathroom break and then cruised down through the south neighborhood and back to get about a full hour in.  Very mellow.

Thursday - 11 miles - 1:30:52
Ran the Ford Lake Loop counter clockwise.  No water and no fuel run.  Took off after dinner and ran without looking at my watch once.  Absolutely gorgeous night out. Felt good!

Friday - OFF 
Resting up for the battle this weekend.  Back to back long runs.

Saturday - 20 miles - 3:25:34
Ran the Potowatomi Trail + Silver Lake Trail.  Took minimal fuel with me today, and ran a bit faster than typical 100 mile race pace.  Encountered a Heron on the trail and walked behind him for about a quarter mile.  One of the cooler things I've seen on a run.  Reminded me of a story that my Grandpa told me about a moose in northern Idaho that they drove behind on an old logging road.  The moose kept running on the road and wouldn't get off it, so my Grandpa and my Uncle Carl just kept following until the moose said fuck it and laid down in the middle of the road and refused to move for like 20 minutes.  It then got up and walked away casually.  Anyhow, felt really good all day, and cooled off in the lake for 20 minutes before heading home.

Sunday AM- 20.27 miles - 3:02:45
Got up somewhat early today and went down to the Lower Huron Metropark and planned to link up all three for a 20 mile out and back.  The rain in the air cooled things off quite a bit.  I forgot my watch, so I started up the Strava app on my phone and put it away and ran on feel.  I felt a bit haggard today but not so much that I couldn't handle the run.  I again ran on minimal fuel, although I used one additional gel because I was bonking impressively on the way back. Strava listed my moving pace as 8:42.  Kinda cool that I am able to pull off the second 20 miler of the weekend at my marathon PR pace. All in all, a really nice day today, and I am feeling very optimistic about the race on 9/5.  Training is now complete, and time to taper.  

Sunday PM - 1.7 miles - 36:33
Little bit of a recovery walk with Christy to reach my goal for the week and also just to stretch out my legs after sitting like a lazy ass all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment